Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Save This Farm



Man is it HOT








Georgia is one of the states affected by the current heat wave. Our temperature has been above 90 degrees for most of the summer. The one thing about Georgia weather is you can always count on high humidity. There is one good hair day per year here and it is February 7. The other thing you can be sure of in the summer is flies. And flies love cows. (oh joy) So every few weeks I soak the cows with a fly treatment. (actually me and at least one of the guys)


So...as my luck is going this week; the cows needed spraying and no one was here to help me. I put on my work shoes and set out to prove to myself I can do this alone. (yeah, right) I brought out the "sweet feed", got the cows in the corral, closed the gate on them, set up the sprayer, hosed them down, and then...well needless to say things went downhill. I could not get the gate opened to let them out. I pushed, I pulled, I huffed and I puffed. When I went into the corral to try opening the gate the cows all wanted more "sweet feed", which I didn't have. I did manage to move the gate, but the cows would not get out of the way...they wanted me to furnish more treats. My sister finally came to see if I was okay...this was taking a long time. I had her take my phone just in case; she had 91 entered ...so I went back in and shooed the cows out of the way. (moving twenty 600+ pound animals is a little scary) Success...but I did have to climb over the fence. (not my best moment)


Summer facts:


1) It is hot in Georgia


2) If Jake is on vacation he could at least call


3) I will remember this summer for a lot of reasons

No comments:

Post a Comment