Sunday, August 7, 2011

Save This Farm





Next....













Spent the morning cleaning up the feed lot (aka holding pen) for the next group of calves. It is not easy to clean an area used by 24 cows. They are not house broken, potty trained or even discreet. I shoveled, swept and washed down the area I will be keeping the new purchases. I scrubbed the water trough and filled it up ready to go. Now... we have to go shopping again. Luckily Bob is able to go to the sale barn with me tomorrow during his lunch hour.



We are planning on getting four new calves weighing between 250 and 300 pounds. They will all need to be boys. When I started this I didn't know anything about what size and sex brings the most money when you try to "flip cows" (my friends and I decided instead of flipping houses I am flipping cows). Now I know they all bring about the same at 300 pounds, but above 650 pounds the boys bring about 30 cents a pound more. So...boys it is.




Shopping points:



1) bring your checkbook



2) Jake is a boy


3) checking cow privates is still embarrassing

No comments:

Post a Comment