Saturday, June 11, 2011

Save This Farm











If someone had asked me six months ago what I would be doing in June I would never have answered raising grass fed beef cattle. That saying about life is what happens while you are making plans bit me in the butt. I was planning to continue my very slow life style, knitting, quilting and reading....but the farm I grew up on was being foreclosed on (I am soooo tired of this slow economy). My mind said no way, but my heart and soul said otherwise.


Now we are entering the next stage of our lives as farmers. (Que the "Green Acres" theme song)

Bob and I both grew up on farms, but that is not the same as owning the farm. The farm had grass, fences and water. We have purchased 21 calves and are patiently (sort of) waiting for them to eat the grass and gain weight. The idea is they will sell for more than we paid for them. This all looks good on paper, but refer to the second sentence in the first paragraph.


I have learned a few things the first couple of days as a cow farmer:


1) you can not herd cows in flip-flops


2)my yellow lab is not a good cow dog - he is a good sleeping dog


3)there is such a thing as cow language - it has something to do with profanity

No comments:

Post a Comment