Thursday, June 30, 2011

Save This Farm



Saint Peter don't you

call me 'cause I can't come...







My father loved to hear Tennessee Ernie Ford sing, I didn't really care for that genre of music. I was a fan of The Rolling Stones; needless to say my father wasn't. My father was a dairy farmer; I was going to be a teacher. I thought women should have equal rights; my father felt women shouldn't do manual labor. My father loved his farm; I loved his farm.


Today we signed the loan and deed documents making our ownership of that farm final. My father always said "Hard work didn't bother him, stress bothered him." Well, I think we are up to the hard labor part; I am concerned about the stress. The debt is stressful, building fences is hard work. While signing all the paperwork the old song "Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go. I owe my soul to the company store" kept playing in my head. We do owe, but somehow we couldn't do otherwise.


Truths:


1) Truths change with age


2) Jake doesn't have any rich relatives who will send us money


3) We believe we can do this

No comments:

Post a Comment