Friday, July 2, 2010

Greener and Debt Free in 2 Years - Day 3

"Your Shoes.......Your Shoes"


When our younger son began kindergarten he loved skipping rope with the girls and chanting silly rhymes. His favorite was; "Your shoes........Your shoes....Your Family Dollar shoes..... They scream....You holler......They only cost one dollar".

While planning dinner this morning I realized we had everything in the house for fajitas, except the tortillas. (sigh) Trying to justify going to the store for one item I chose to go to the nearest store. Family Dollar Stores are located in a lot of small towns in the south, and ours is just 2 miles from our home. The nearest full size store is 20 miles away, so it works for me. But I can not go in that store without that rhyme playing in my head. To further implement my green and money saving plan I paid the only bill I haven't set up electronically at the local post office and checked to see if we needed anything else for the pantry so I wouldn't be making another one item trip. We did need the usual suspects; bread, chips and while I was going some extra salsa.

goal #1 - going green, I did combine trips after some thought, but I do need to plan ahead better and keep a stocked pantry. I declare this one a washout.

goal#2 - becoming debt free, I did spend the least on gas of the options and only spent $10.00 in the Family Dollar Store (a lot less than I have ever left the large store spending). Again I declare this one a washout due to lack of planning. I am just starting so my hopes are still high.

goal#3 - enjoying the good life, Fajitas with homegrown vegetables and the wonderful memory of a child laughing, skipping rope and chanting "Your shoes....Your shoes....." , definitely reached!

Reaching goal #3 made the whole day a success even if goals #1 or #2 were both washouts.













No comments:

Post a Comment