Saturday, July 3, 2010

2 Years to a Greener Debt Free Life - Day 4



"Friends of the Library"



Confession Time - whenever I wanted to read a new book I simply ordered it from barnesand noble.com. I also ordered another book that I thought might be interesting to receive the free shipping. They always processed my order promptly and I had new books in hand in just a couple of days.


But, going green and saving money made me think about this choice. Could I save trees, water, and fuel by doing something different. Well, it just so happens our local community does not have a library. It does have a group of very dedicated people who want a library. "The Friends of the Library" gladly take donated books, which they sell out of a block garage building the first Saturday of each month. The money earned from these sales, yard sales and donations are held in a library fund. Someday there will be a library thanks to the hard work of a few volunteers.


Today we shopped the book sale. Bob found two books by authors he likes to read and I found a paperback. We spent $4.50 for three books. The cover price of these finds is $56.94, a savings of $52.44. Not bad for spending time looking through a very good collection of preowned books and supporting a noble cause.


goal #1 - going green-saving trees, water and fuel. Goal achieved.


goal #2- becoming debt free - saving $50.00 in just a few minutes. $104,870.00 - $50.00 = $104,820.00. Goal achieved.


goal #3 - enjoying the good life - holding a book in my hand. Goal achieved.



An around good day. But, barnesandnoble.com don't shut down just yet, you do a great job and sometimes new releases need to be read quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment