Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Green and Debt Free in 2 Years - Day 14


I Know How, but....

I am afraid I am very guilty of choosing convience over effort. I do know how to make pie crusts from "scratch", but I have been purchasing them in the dairy aisle. My logic has been my time is worth the extra money. Since I have been thinking "green" about everything I touch I really can't justify the purchase of something I can do in just a few minutes. Not only do I have complete control over what is in my food, I am not creating cardboard and plastic. Everything I make is not wonderful, but I do feel we can put up with my cooking knowing we are saving money and the environment.
By making just a few changes I have reduced our trash by 75% and our grocery bill by 25%. We now buy things with the least amount of packaging. (think box of grits over box of individual envelopes of grits, yes it is the south and we do eat grits.) The extra payoff of this is the items with the least amount of packages are usually the less expensive items.
I am also trying to do away with the purchase of anything in plastic and especially Styrofoam. If the eggs don't come in a cardboard carton I don't buy them. With just a little thought and a little bit of my time we have seen big benefits.
goal #1 - going green - waste reduction
goal #2 - reducing debt - an extra $100.00 by reducing grocery costs - $104,680.00 - $100.00 = 104,580.00.
goal #3 - enjoying the good life - okay so cooking isn't one of my favorite things to do, but I do feel better knowing what is in our food and the extra money doesn't hurt my feelings either.
People are impressed with home cooking, even if it isn't perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I thought you loved to cook. :)

    Also, I am going to start blogging again and focusing on going gluten free on my old blog. Incase you don't remember the site it is:

    moxiesdiner.blogspot.com

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I really want to know more about gluten free eating. I will love following your blog again.

    ReplyDelete