Monday, July 5, 2010

Going Green and Becoming Debt Free in 2 Years - Day 6

Summertime.....and the picking is easy



I have been a full-time housewife for only two years. At first I was lonely, so we purchased Jake, the yellow lab. As any one who has read Marley and Me, you know labs and loneliness do not mix. Jake has been my cohort in crime, best friend and keeper of secrets since he arrived. And, yes his price was discounted because he was the last puppy in the litter. That should have set off bells, but I believe puppies are like human babies, God makes them too darn cute not to love no matter what they do.

As a first time stay at home wife I thought I would start raising some of our food. I chose blueberries because I like blueberry muffins, pies, tarts, pancakes, etc...
Bob bought and planted them for me the first fall (20 months ago) that my business card expired. They are producing their first crop now and are organic, not because I am that good, but because I never got around to doing anything to them. Sometimes even a blind pig finds a mushroom.

goal #1 - going green, home grown organic (even if by laziness, I'll take it)blueberries, score 1

goal #2 - becoming debt free - by doing the math of not purchasing organic berries at the store I have saved #30.00. $104,810.00 - $30.00 = $104,780.00. Pass the salt, this elephant needs a little flavor.

goal #3 - enjoying the good life - picking your own organic berries with a friend. Major score.

Now, I just have to teach Jake to only pick his fair share.

No comments:

Post a Comment