Sunday, January 22, 2012

Save This Farm

Heavy Sigh
Well, the answer was she was pregnant. We watched and waited, and waited and watched; finally Thursday she started showing signs of labor. We spent Thursday night and the morning hours of Friday with her. We knew going into this she was really young, and the father had to be a member of her original herd (never a good thing).
So, long story short, the calf was a stillborn. Things just weren't right. The only good news here is my cow came through it okay and is doing fine. The bad news is the first birth of a calf for me on the farm ended with tears.
Reasons I am not in charge of mother nature:
1) I would never want anything to die
2) Jake might be second in command of everything
3) I can't make the tough decisions

No comments:

Post a Comment